Bridge Street Widening Project
The City of Brighton, in cooperation with prime contractor Brannan Sand and Gravel, is set to begin a widening project on Bridge Street (Colorado Highway 7) at the beginning of August. The project work zone will stretch between 22nd Avenue and 42nd Avenue, impacting both east and westbound lanes. The current single through-lane road will be expanded to two through-lanes of travel in both directions, totaling four lanes by the end of the project. In addition to widening operations, crews will be installing raised medians and turn lanes, implementing new curbs and gutters, replacing four traffic signals, making Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant curb ramps and sidewalk improvements and upgrading utilities. These improvements are expected to reduce traffic congestion, create safer and more accessible travel paths for multimodal users and enhance the functionality of several intersection locations.
Travel Impacts (Updated 11/17/23)
The following schedule is weather dependent and subject to change:
- Working hours will take place from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Wednesday in the upcoming week. There will be no work from Thursday, November 23, to Monday, November 27, for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.
- Storm sewer and waterline installations will continue on Bridge Street between 27th Avenue and Sierra Street. Lane shifts will take place within this stretch with a single lane of thru-traffic open in both directions. This traffic reconfiguration is permanent will remain in effect for the duration of Phase I of the project, which is expected to continue for the next several months.
- The Telluride and Bridge Street intersection may experience an additional closure to northbound/southbound traffic Monday and Tuesday next week with a detour route in place. Please follow signage on site to navigate around the closure.
- On Sunday, November 19, Bridge Street will close to thru-traffic at the 27th Avenue intersection from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. for temporary signal pole installations. Access to the shopping center off of 27th Avenue will remain open during this time with detour routes in place. See detour map below for more details.
- Material trucks will continue to enter and exit the roadway within the project zone, so drivers are encouraged to slow down, watch for workers and equipment, and leave plenty of space in between vehicles. Please be mindful and exercise extreme caution when traveling through construction areas.
- The project team wishes you all safe travels during the holiday season!
- The project is set to begin in early August and is anticipated to be complete in Spring 2025. This timeline is dependent on weather and resource availability and is subject to change.
- Normal working hours will be from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Crews may work on weekends as needed throughout the duration of the project.
- Work will be broken into three phases over the course of the project. These phases will include the following:
- Phase I: Removals, widening operations & utility upgrades.
- Phase II: Intersection improvements, including traffic signal replacements, sidewalk and ramp upgrades and curb and gutter implementation.
- Phase III: Paving operations, landscaping and beautification efforts, and final roadway striping.
Project Contact Information
- Hotline: 970-880-4318
- Email: BridgeStreetWidening@gmail.com