Sales Tax & Business Licensing
A City of Brighton Business License issued by the Finance Department – Sales Tax Division is required for individuals and businesses engaged in business in the City. This license also serves as the sales tax license. Licenses for mobile vendors are valid until the end of the year in which they were issued. Licenses for most other businesses are good until the end of every odd numbered year.
Depending on the type of business additional licenses, permits and/or approvals may be required. Businesses that require additional approvals include, but are not limited to, contractors, merchant guards, and group homes.
For liquor licensing please contact the City Clerk’s Office.
For contractor licenses please contact the building and permitting division.
For more information go to the Business Licensing Page.
New Business License Application
License Application – Mobile or outdoor vendor – use this application if your business is for a mobile or outdoor vendor such as a food truck
License Renewal Application
Complete the appropriate license application to renew your City of Brighton License. Additional information and/or documentation may be required before a license can be renewed. There is no fee to renew your license as long as the renewal application is received on or before 12-31-2021.
Mobile or outdoor vendor Parks Application– Mobile outdoor vendors wishing to operate at or within 200 ft. of a City Park must have this approved application in addition to a Business License
Mobile or outdoor vendors
Effective October 2021 the City of Brighton has revised the rules and regulations regarding mobile or outdoor vendors. Please see attached information sheet here to learn about the new rules and regulations.
City of Brighton Sales & Lodging Tax
In 2000, Brighton residents voted to become Home Rule Jurisdiction and adopted a Charter, with provision for the City of Brighton to collect its own sales tax. Taxable transactions are specified in the City of Brighton Municipal Code. The City may charge sales tax on items on which the State of Colorado does not. For instance, the City taxes food for domestic consumption while the State does not. Each vendor should read the City of Brighton Municipal Code, Sections 3-38-75 and Sections 3-28-80 to become acquainted with City taxable transactions and exemptions.
In addition to sales tax, the City of Brighton has a 3% lodging tax on the price of lodging accommodations provided in the City.
For more information go to the Sales Tax Page.
City of Brighton Use Tax
The City of Brighton imposes a City use tax of 3.75% on:
- The purchase of motor vehicles outside the city limits by a City resident. This is typically paid when the vehicle is registered with the County and is then remitted to the City by the County.
- On any and all construction and building materials. The City use tax on building and construction materials is paid on an estimated basis when the building permit is issued. The permit must be presented to the vendor when purchasing building and construction materials for the permitted project in order to be exempt from City sales tax. The permit is reconciled when the project is completed to determine if there might have been an under or over payment on the permit.
Forms and Resources
- Return – Sales Tax
- Return – Lodging Tax
- Guide – Sales Tax Online Filing
- Claim for refund
- License App – Commercial
- License App – Home Business
- License Application – Mobile or outdoor vendor
- Mobile or Outdoor Vendor Parks application
- License App – Out of City
- General information – Mobile or Outdoor Vendor
- General information – Home Day Care
- 2022-2023 License Renewal – Commercial
- 2022-2023 License Renewal – Home Business
- 2022 License Renewal – Mobile Vendor
- 2022-2023 License Renewal – Out of City
- Return – Telephone Occupation Tax